Divorce Order Enforcement In North Carolina

Divorce order enforcement in North Carolina can be accomplished by having contempt of court proceedings. The ex-spouse who violated the court’s order can be required to comply immediately, or they could face time in jail for failing to comply.

In a perfect world, once your family law disputes have been settled and a court order issued, you should be able to go on with your life and trust that your ex-spouse will honor their court-mandated obligations.

However, we don’t live in a perfect world. Unfortunately, even after you enter your order in court, your ex-spouse may fail to fulfill their obligations as dictated by the North Carolina court order. That failure can lead to even more court appearances and attorney fees.

What Can A North Carolina Trial Court Do?

If your ex-spouse has failed to fulfill their obligations of the terms of a North Carolina court order, the trial court may do one of the following:

  1. Order Jail Time
  2. Withhold your ex-spouse’s wages
  3. Order the transfer of property
  4. Order your ex-spouse to pay your attorney fees.

If your ex-spouse has failed to comply with their obligations of a North Carolina court order, it could have a significant impact on your life and cause you to suffer both emotional and financial hardship. If your ex-spouse isn’t living up to their responsibilities under a court order, the family lawyers at Remington & Dixon can assist you in holding them accountable by filing your case in a North Carolina family court.

What if the Divorce Order Enforcement Was From Another State?

It’s not uncommon for you or your ex-spouse to eventually move or relocate to another state. If that happens, you may wonder what happens to your North Carolina child custody or child support order if your ex-spouse or your child moves to a different state. You may also be curious about what would happen if you enter an order in another state, and you moved to North Carolina.

Child support or custody orders entered in one state could be enforceable in another state because of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act, or the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act and the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act are active in every state in the union. Both of these laws ensure that an order issued in one state will be honored in a different state. They also provide a way for one state to enforce the order issued in another state.

Your ex-spouse or another party may have violated a court order by either:

  • Refusing to allow you parenting time
  • Failing to make child support payments
  • Ignoring the court’s order regarding such things as debts and assets

The Charlotte, North Carolina divorce lawyers at Remington & Dixon have the experience and knowledge to ensure that your rights are protected.


Are consultations free?

While we offer a free consultation on traffic matters, criminal matters, and most professional license defense cases, we charge a fee for family law consultations to personalize our consultations to your specific needs. To learn about our fee structure, please get in touch.

Where can I get legal advice?

We recommend meeting with an attorney. While there is free legal help available for North Carolina residents from pro bono resources for civil matters, and public defenders for criminal cases, the best way to access tailored advice is to hire a lawyer.

Can I hire you if I’m in another state?

This is done on a case by case basis if you are involved in a family law, criminal, or professional disciplinary matter that involves another jurisdiction.



"*" indicates required fields

With a Consultation

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.