An uncontested divorce happens when there is an agreement to separate without the intervention of the court. In this case, the people agree on matters such as child custody and division of wealth. They agree on every part of the divorce on their own. They, therefore, save time and energy and moving forward is more natural.
This type of divorce happens a lot faster, and there is less wastage of resources. The couple is required to have a sit-down and discuss every aspect of the family that needs to change. Some of the critical issues to address during an uncontested divorce include:
- Custody of the children. There should be a written schedule of how each person contributes to this.
- Child support and how much it will be per month.
- If there is spousal support, it needs to be clearly defined. The amount should be indicated and for how long one will receive it.
- Division of property or wealth. They need to agree on who gets what and why.
When you address all these aspects, you can sign the divorce papers and submit them to court. It is best if you have a Charlotte, NC uncontested divorce attorney for filing the documents. He can also help you sort out any other issues out of court.
The Process of an Uncontested Divorce
The one filing for divorce has to serve the divorce papers to the other party. There is a grace period of 30 days before the divorce hearing, so the couple has to wait. During this time, they can consult a Charlotte, NC lawyer on other matters about the divorce.
After the grace period, there is the court hearing, and since both parties have agreed, they get the divorce. Each person will get a copy of the divorce judgment and the court gets to retain a copy.
How Divorce Lawyers in Charlotte, NC Can Help Couples with Minor Children in an Uncontested Divorce
As much as the uncontested divorce is pretty seamless, some sensitive issues may cause a problem. One of the most common issues relates to children who are minors. That is because the parents have to agree on child support and who will best take care of their offspring
Most parents will want to stay with their kids because they love them but this is not always ideal. A lawyer can act as a mediator to help you sort out through your differences. He will allow you to look at the pros and cons of each of you living with the children. He will help you identify the best option.
An experienced Charlotte, NC lawyer is in the best position to offer advice from past cases. There are some options that you may not consider on your own. However, through his recommendation, you may reach an agreement. The attorney will also be in charge of fixing up the papers for this agreement. These need to be done well so as not to cause any problems in the future like a custody hearing.
Benefits of Uncontested Divorce
- It takes a shorter time. Since you agree with most of the things, there is no need to go to court. You are divorced once you have settled everything and signed all the necessary papers. All you need is for your divorce attorney to file the documents and everything will be fine.
- It costs less. The whole court divorce process requires a lot of money. Since you don’t need this, you save that money. You can use it to help you settle into your new lives.
- It is devoid of drama. Contested divorce cases take a toll not only on the couple but also the rest of the family. There is constant drama and arguing that can affect the family, especially the children. Uncontested divorces are very peaceful, so everyone is happy with the decision.
- It results in a fair settlement. Many couples do not realize that by agreeing on how to divide wealth, they can both end up happy. Many court divorce cases aim at taking everything away from the other person. This causes a lot of pain.
Get in Touch with a Family Law Attorney in Charlotte, NC for an Uncontested Divorce
Having an experienced family law attorney in Charlotte, NC with you when going through an uncontested divorce is invaluable. He is an essential part of helping you sort through those rough patches so that the process is seamless. At Remington & Dixon PLLC we are ready to listen to your case and get you the best assistance. Contact us for a consultation to see how best we can help you.